Friday, February 11, 2011

"The PR Student"

My name is Nicole and I am a Public Relations Major at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.  I've been in college now for almost 2 years and I am in the process of finishing up my 4th semester.  When I first decided to go to college, I was planning on being an elementary teacher and had my heart set on the fact that that was what I was going to spend the rest of my life doing.  I know this sounds so cliché, but I really did wake up one morning and realize that I did not want to be a teacher. I couldn't picture myself sitting in a classroom day after day teaching kids the basic knowledge that they will forever use in their life. I need a little more excitement and spontaneity in my life than that.  After talking with my adviser, I decided to go back to being a student with an undeclared major and what seemed like no sense of direction in my life. Very frustrating. My 3rd semester in, I took a course that was all about the principles of public relations.  I loved it.  I knew from the very moment when I actually enjoyed going to class, it had to be a sign. I'm all about thinking that everything in my life is a "sign" for something that is supposed to happen. Maybe it's a phase maybe not, who knows. Anyway, here I am creating this blog for the world to see, and of course my fellow PR peers at school.

5 comments:

  1. Nicole,
    I also wanted to be an Elementary Education major and spend the rest of my life teaching. I also eventually realized that I didn’t want to do that for the rest of my life. And also after talking to my advisor (who actually suggested that I go into public relations) I started taking those courses and realized that this is definitely want I want to do.
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    I don't think it sounds cliche at all that you woke up one morning and just knew you weren't in the right place. I think it is great that you were able to accept that something you thought was so right for you and your future really wasn't. I also am a firm believer in "signs" directing us to where we are supposed to end up in life. I really hope you enjoy the path you're on now and I wish you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, Changing majors is totally normal. I was originally a Theatre major and changed to History the first time I went to school. I loved the change and found it was so much easier to get through school after wards. And I've found that some of the biggest, best changes in my life happened on the fly. I decided to become a PR major after one quick visit to campus and I am not looking back!
    -Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a change of heart too when it came to my major. I wanted to be a performance major and I had my heart set on that too, but after a few months I realized that was not how I wanted to live my life. I'm so happy doing PR though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole,

    I feel like a lot of people go through a similar situation to the one you did in regards to your major. It seems like you have found something that at least interests you now.
    Good Luck!
    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete